Monday, May 30, 2016

Memorial Day


The words feel inadequate, but thank you to those who gave their lives for this country.


Memorial Day always comes at a busy time (the end of the school year), and it is nice to take a breath and a step back, and celebrate the day by doing what is most important - spending the day with those we love.

Today my guy and I went to his parents' house to eat and spend the afternoon with them and his grandparents. Our contribution to the meal was a rhubarb compote (made with fresh-picked rhubarb from the garden) served over vanilla ice cream. We made the compote together in the morning (we used this recipe).



Then we went to Andrew's parents' house, where we spent the afternoon in their lovely garden.




They live on a pond, and it is just beautiful there.











His dad grilled, and we ate outside on the patio. Everything was delicious!




Our compote in action!



After our meal, Andrew and I walked through the woods to the pond.



We saw a turtle!


It was so nice to take a break and relax together. I hope you were able to spend the day with those you love, whether celebrating Memorial Day or not!

xo,
Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and to let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!